Availability date: 07-12-2020
In the key indicators page, a bug prevented activity reports to be exported in the event that the categories were filtered. This has been corrected and you can again export reports by activity for all the training courses of a selected category (as in the beautiful days).
In the communications report, some data was sometimes incorrect (views, time spent, likes or comments). In the CSV file, lines could be missing. We fixed this, no more information is missing.
When importing an Excel® template in the web authoring tool, when using a style effect (bold, italic) followed by a space, this space was lost when the training course was published, causing display issues. We fixed this.
The time spent displayed in the Mission Center on the learners ranking for a training course was not correctly indicated. There were some differences, compared to the time recorded in the Excel® report. It has been corrected, the calculations have been verified and the indicated time spent is correct everywhere.
When Survey responses were exported to CSV format, they were not always counted correctly in the file. With the PDF export, however, everything worked fine. It is corrected, the responses of Survey activities are now well exported and counted, whether in PDF or in CSV.
Please sign in to leave a comment.