What is the Fill the Gap activity?
Timed fill-in-the-blank text completion
With Fill the Gap, the learner completes a series of sentences with their missing word. For each sentence, three annotated rockets run through the screen from bottom to top. The learner selects the rocket with the correct word. He succeeds or not the activity according to the score reached at the end of the given time.
Fill the Gap is designed to validate what has been learned. It is proposed in the Practice phase of the ELPA cycle, to evaluate and consolidate knowledge.
Suitable for Badge, Score, Shake'n'Learn features: yes
Available medias: no media
Web app compatible: yes
- Score, in the form of a progress bar. It turns green for each correct answer and red for each incorrect answer.
- Per sentence: 1 correct answer, 2 incorrect answers
- Sentences limited to 100 characters, answers limited to 13 characters
- Introduction card title*
- Introduction card text
- Game duration
- Number of questions per game session
- Number of questions to answer correctly to validate the activity (success threshold)
- Background image (.png / .jpg)
- Cursors images (.png)*
- Question sorting method*
- Conclusion card title*
- Conclusion card text displayed when faultless / success / fail*
Module type: training path
Upgrades history: only available from 17.4 version
How to fill in the Excel® Fill the Gap activity template?
All activities can be downloaded from:
by clicking at the top right of the screen on Activity templates.
They can also be downloaded from the training course authoring page.
Note: it is recommended to download the activity templates regularly, or even each time you use them, as these are frequently updated
The Excel® activity template for the Fill the Gap activity is made up of three tabs:
1. The Instructions tab provides access to the Help Center article on the activity in question. It also shows screenshots of the rendering on the App.
2. The Configuration tab shows the different configurations to configure for the activity:
- Fill the Gap Configuration (mandatory). If the data are not modified, the standard configuration will be applied
- D3 cell: the number of questions to display (ex : you create 30 questions and wish to display 12 of them)
- D4 cell: the number of correct answers to successfully complete the activity (ex : you display 12 questions and the learner must correctly answer 8 of them)
- D5 cell: the time allowed to complete the activity (in seconds, minimum 30 seconds)
- D6 cell: the order of appearance of the questions (ordered: identical to the order of creation, random: mixed or mixed: at the first launch of the activity the order is identical, with the launches that follow, the order is mixed)
- The activity introduction. If the text is not changed, the default text will be displayed.
- D8 cell: the introduction title (limited to 25 characters)
- D9 cell: the introduction text (limited to 200 characters)
- The activity conclusion. If the text is not changed, the default text will be displayed.
- D11 cell: the conclusion card title (limited to 25 characters)
- D12 cell: the text to display in the event of flawless success (limited to 100 characters)
- D13 cell: the text to display in case of success with fault at the completion of the activity (limited to 100 characters)
- D14 cell: the text to display in case of failure to complete (limited to 100 characters)
- Graphic configuration of the activity. If the data are not changed, the default configuration will be applied
- D16 cell: use the default cursor (rocket) or a custom cursor. The image must be in .png and be named cursor.png with a resolution of 124x228px
- D17 cell: use of the cursor in the event of a default error (parachute) or of a personalized cursor. The image must be in .png and be named falling.png with a resolution of 54x104px
- D18 cell: use the default background image (sky) or a custom background image. The image must be in .jpg and be named background.jpg with a resolution of 768x1024px
3. The Cards tab allows to create questions:
- Column A : the question (limited to 100 characters). In your question, replace the word to be found by *** (three stars), ex : There are *** months in a year (proposals : 12, 24, 60)
- Column D : answer 1 (correct answer, limited to 13 characters)
- Column G : answer 2 (incorrect answer, limited to 13 characters)
- Column J : answer 3 (incorrect answer, limited to 13 characters)
How to use the Webauthoring tool for the Fill the Gap activity?
To find out more about creating an activity, read the article "How to create the training course content for the first time?"
Edit your Fill the Gap activity.
The Webauthoring tool for the Fill the Gap activity is made up of three tabs:
- Graphic design
2. Parameters & Graphic Design
What is the rendering of the Fill the Gap activity in the App?
Do you need to translate your activity? Do not hesitate to read the article on translations management of training courses content.